Monday, February 25, 2008

C'mon stims!

Obviously it's been far too long since I've updated... so here's a 'catch up' entry.

On Feb. 7th I went to the clinic for CD2 and to meet the new doc. Of course, silly me thought that when I had gotten that call from the clinic manager they'd assigned my chart to the new doc's section already, so when I went in, I signed up as a patient of Dr. L, but neglected to mention that I had previously been with Dr. D.... so when I finally got to meet Dr. L, he didn't have my full chart. Le sigh. But... luckily, thanks to the fabulous online community I've been posting in for ages (insert shameless plug for the BabyBells section of the weddingbells.ca forums here) I was well versed in our diagnosis, previous protocol, etc. The doc expressed surprising sympathy when I mentioned the miscarriage, which was a startling but nice change.

Anyway... started Marvelon (again... damn I hate those things... they make me break out and make me moody) on the 7th... then added Lupron (0.1mL daily in the morning at the same time every day) on the 14th (happy Valentine's Day... gotta go shoot up, now).

Lupron's a fun little drug. Apparently it's technically a cancer drug that has the fun side effect that it plays tricks on the pituitary and messes with the reproductive hormones too. The first few days weren't too bad, other than making me extremely tired... but towards the end of the first week the night-sweats and hot-flashes started. Luckily, I haven't had them too often (although last night was another sweaty one. Ick.).

I stopped the BCP last week (Wednesday was my last one) and knew that I would be going back to the clinic on CD2. I figured (based on last fall) that AF would show her ugly red face Saturday or Sunday, so I'd be hitting the clinic yesterday or today. But, true to form, now that I WANT her to show up, she's playing coy. I've been spotting since Friday afternoon, but nothing yet. Luckily, I know what to do... if she shows up today, I go in tomorrow... otherwise I go in Wednesday regardless (the nurse told me when I got my meds that if I didn't have a period a week after stopping the pill to come in anyway). From my reading, it seems that Lupron can have this effect... preventing menstruation. So... I'm hoping things get rolling today so I can go in for my supression check and start my stims on Wednesday, because I now have this horrible fear that I'll go in on Wednesday and they'll have to give me provera or something to jumpstart AF and we'll lose even more time. Gah.

No comments: