Monday, May 12, 2008

Yesterday kinda sucked.

Yup... yesterday kinda sucked. Although, I think the build-up was worse than the day ended up being.

I've spent the past couple of weeks crying every time I saw or heard an ad for Mother's Day. Couldn't deal. Not even a little.

In a way, I was lucky yesterday. My mother is currently in China on vacation (and thankfully unaffected by the earthquake they had!)... so a quick text message on Saturday evening (which was Sunday morning for them) sufficed. I plan to buy a nice bouquet to greet her when they get home on Friday night. Ma-in-law is currently on the road with Pa-in-law driving out to Vancouver to hop a plane to Anchorage to take the same cruise we're heading out for on Saturday. D sent her an email (I'm assuming... I left it up to him). So there was no festivities to try to wriggle out of. D himself was summoned to work, so there was no chance of 'forgetting' and finding ourselves in a crowded restaurant surrounded by happy families.

I decided the best way for me to deal with the day was to pretend it wasn't happening. Probably not the healthiest, I realize. And don't get me wrong, I'm happy for all my friends and aquaintances who had reason to celebrate yesterday... I just didn't feel much like celebrating.

So I had a nice relaxing shower, noted happily that the m/c fall-out seems to be tapering off, painted my nails for the first time in about 3 years (black... like my soul ;) ), and dove head-first into some much needed cleaning in the house. By the time D got home, I BBQ'd dinner, and we parked ourselves in front of the idiot box for the Survivor finale (what a train wreck!) I was exhausted and nearly all the Mother's Day ads were gone from the airwaves.

And today is another day. A day that is happy for having muddled through yesterday. A day that is happy for having finally gotten around to a much needed under-garment fitting session (good grief was I ever wearing the wrong size... by far!!! Thank god the place I went isn't much more expensive than a department store). A day that is happy for having seen a Peregrine Falcon and a pair of Swans flying over my train station this morning (yes... actual wildlife in what is still technically the city! ;) ). A day that is one step closer to a very much needed vacation.

Hope all my bloggy friends are keeping well! And that those who celebrated yesterday had wonderful days!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Mums, I'm glad that you were able to muddle through 'that day' and that things seem to be quieting down in the realm of the other unhappy thing. I know you're strong, and will face this crap head on again... Take some time to find 'you', and enjoy quiet time with yourself, DH, and nature. I hope you find a peace with everything somehow. (if that is even possible).

You should see the birds that come to the feeders in my backyard! I have a bird sanctuary close to my house, so I get allll kinds... Hmmmm, reminds me... will you have time to meet up on your way out here???

xo
M

Mums_the_word said...

Hey M!

Not on the way out (we go Toronto to Minneapolis to Anchorage)... but there's a slim chance on the way back. Ship docks at 7:30... flight home is at 1:15. BUT... not sure what time we'll make it off the plane, and we've got cruiseline arranged transportation from the pier straight to the airport :p One of these days I'm gonna have to get out there for an actual visit!

Momasita said...

Mums glad that things are tapering off for you. Sorry that it's been dragging on so long.

I think the "bury the head in the sand" routine can be very healthy if used sparingly. So, I think you handled "that day" very well!