Saturday, May 31, 2008

I'm baaaaaaaack

Hi all.

I'm back from Alaska. Eventually I might post some pics. The trip was awesome.

Coming back sucked in more ways than one.

My second day back at work, I got laid off. Re-structured right out the door. After 10 years. No warning. No notice. Buh-bye.

So now I'm unemployed. This throws a bit of a wrench in the works. The original plan was to try a FET in June or July. The unemployment, however, means we'll have to postpone at least until I have another job, and probably until I've been there for 3 months (or however long probation is). I'd have to take time off around the transfer if I got a job. And if I didn't have a job yet when we did the transfer Murphy says it'd work, which then makes me a poor candidate for employment, I'm thinking.

Damn.

6 comments:

Pam said...

I'm glad you're back. I'm glad you had a great time. That's one place we want to go as well. That really sucks about the job. What is it about companies that they think it's okay to just treat their employees like that? I hope you got a decent package after 10 years of service.

Mums_the_word said...

You should definitely do Alaska... it's so beautiful!!

Umm... yeah... not as good as I would have hoped, but at least we don't have to worry about lost income until late January (if I don't find another job right away)... I'm just pissed at the way they handled it. I was humiliated, and nobody should get away with treating their employees that way.

Momasita said...

Wow - somehow I missed that news on the other board. Sorry to hear you were re-orged, hope you got a good package - I think legally it's 2 weeks for every year you're with the company.

What a horrible welcome home!

Well, welcome home and good luck with the job search!

sam said...

Oh Mums - that sucks! Best of luck with your job search. :-)

Emily said...

Oh Mums! I'm still so pissed that they layed you off. At least you got a vacation in before it happened. I only hope they will be a good reference when you fing something else!
Em

Mums_the_word said...

Well, that's one good thing, at least... I have enough contacts there that I can get decent references without needing to use my last manager if I don't want to contact him (and frankly, right now I'm not sure I could deal with him without ripping him a new one, so probably best to avoid it *laugh*).