Thursday, December 20, 2007

Transfer complete... stick, babies... stick!

So... Monday was the transfer (and yes... it's taken me this long to blog about it... I was on bed-rest for Monday and Tuesday and catching up on work email yesterday ;) ). 2 little embies squirted into my uterus in the hopes that one or both will find a nice snuggly place to curl up and stay 'til at least August.

The day went something like this:

Got up. Showered. Had some breakfast. Got picked up by my parents who were giving us a ride to the clinic (so D wouldn't have to leave me to get the car after the procedure). I should mention at this point for anyone who might be reading this and NOT in Southern Ontario... we got buried on the weekend. Seriously... I've heard 40 cm of snow (and 30 is a foot, so that's a heck of a lot of snow to fall in a day and a half)... and our street didn't get plowed until Sunday night at about 9:30... and then, not well. Anyway, in the car, I started drinking my mandated 1 litre of water. Poor choice. We got stuck in traffic and ended up getting dropped at a subway station so we'd at least be close to on-time for our 9:45 check-in. 9:45, checked in with the clinic and got changed into the gowns (yup.... plural... one on front to back, one on back to front... at least my butt didn't get cold *laugh*) while I sent D off to buy some more of the meds I need, as the ones I have would run out 4 days before our scheduled beta. By that point I was very uncomfortable and dancing. I think I may have mis-measured the water. Or perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I haven't been quite so enthusiastic with my water consumption since the miscarriage and my bladder shrank. In any case, I couldn't hold it and made a mad dash to the washroom to 'take some pressure off'. Those of you who've tried to stop the flow when you really need to go can imagine how well that didn't work. So, convinced that I'd let too much out, I sent D down the hall to find me a cup of water. Then another. Then another.

Seems I sent him one too many times. But I'll get to that in a minute.

While we were waiting, my doc came out of the procedure room where she had been doing a retrieval. As she was about to head back over to her office, they said "you have a transfer"... she had no idea. Very reassuring. But it seems the retrievals and transfers are scheduled in two different books (which could also explain why the retrieval went in at 10:00... which was supposed to be when my transfer was scheduled... really, it would have been better the other way around, since you don't need a full bladder for a retrieval)... and she only got told about one of them. Miscommunication. Fun.

Anyway, they took me in and got me up on the bench for the initial u/s to determine the shape of catheter they'd need. The u/s tech determined that my bladder was too full, so they sent me off to pee "one cup only!" I walked out of the procedure room and the nurse on the desk said "Oh! You get to pee!" like this was the greatest thing in the world. Highly amusing.

One cup later, I was back in and back on the bench with my feet in the stirrups and the hatchway to the entirely male-populated lab open... with a wonderful view, I'm sure.

Seems there was some resistance encountered inserting the catheter, which left me feeling a wee bit bruised inside afterwards. But they got it in, and I have a picture of the squirt of fluid containing my 2 little embies (1 4-cell, 1 6-cell). The doc said she's betting on the 6-cell, but watch me have twins because, and I quote, "I'm knocked up, and it seems to be working for me"... seems every transfer she's done since she got pregnant has resulted in at least one positive beta (including my last transfer, although it didn't last... so who knows how many others didn't last, either). Immediately after the transfer, she did say "I just have to straighten out her uterus and then we're good to go". That was a little unnerving.

Anyway, catheter out, speculum out, and then she did something cute, but very odd. She rubbed her very pregnant belly (she's 32 weeks... measuring 34, apparently) and then rubbed mine. Seems she's decided pregnancy is contagious and wanted the embies to get the idea of what they're supposed to do *laugh*

2 days of bed-rest (going stir-crazy)... one day of "light duties" (still going stir-crazy)... and now I'm back to work with the warning to avoid running and jumping (as if I'd be likely to do either). Monday was crampy and gassy.... Tuesday was just back pain... yesterday was a few crampy moments, one quite sharp pain (but I'm choosing to take that as a good sign), and a lot of pain at my various injection sites.

I think there's a chance I might be mildly allergic to sesame oil. All my injection sites are swelling and itchy... and bruised. I'm going to give it a couple more days and then maybe head back to the clinic to see if I can trade in my other 2 vials for one of the other oils.

Here's hoping for good news at New Years!

No comments: