Saturday, March 15, 2008

Transfer complete!

Ok... I should have updated yesterday afternoon, but I was both too excited and too tired.. so I'm updating now instead.

Our transfer was scheduled for 11:30 yesterday, but didn't end up happening until shortly after 1:00... on the plus side, I got to go to the washroom many times in that extra 90 minutes, and it meant we were the last procedure of the day and I could "recover" on the table instead of having to move back to our ultra-luxurious cubby hole *laugh* What that means, for those who might be reading and don't know, is that for the 15-20 minutes post-transfer when I was supposed to rest and let things settle before finally going pee I was able to stay lying down instead of standing up to get back to my chair and then sitting for the time. Let me tell you, it's much easier to hold it for that extra time when gravity's not working against you! So DH and I stayed in the dimly lit OR and chatted :)

Yes... DH managed to brave the OR this time, and I'm so glad he did! Because our embies this time looked so gorgeous... so much better than the previous transfers... much rounder and more complex looking :) Even the lab techs chimed in telling us they looked beautiful :) Lots of positivity in the OR yesterday... which was a nice change from before when it was really only Dr. D's restrained positivity. Yesterday we had positive vibes coming at us from the lab techs, the u/s tech, 2 nurses, and Dr. L!! It actually helped a lot with my outlook on this whole thing... I actually have hope now (although that's a bit of a double-edged sword, because if it doesn't end up working I'll be even worse)

We were given the option of transferring 2 or 3. I'm not really all that keen on the notion of a 'selective reduction', though, and I'd have to agree to that in order for them to transfer 3, so I said 2. Of the 9 they reported on Wednesday, 8 of them grew like gangbusters ("excellent excellent embryos" says Dr. L ), and one of them was a little slow. So we transferred 2, froze 6, and that last one will stay in the lab for another day or two to see if it reaches blast. If it does, it'll join its siblings in the nitrogen tank... if it doesn't, we've still got a few more chances on ice and are miles ahead of where we were after the last retrieval. Personally, knowing that our FET transferred a 6-cell and an 8-cell, I think the first time they should have let the remaining 2 grow to blast before freezing and possibly saved us the money, but that's just me being pessimistic in hindsight. *shrug*

And, although we discovered that there aren't any options they're willing to give us for the castor oil progesterone transit medium (there are other options, but they want to avoid seed-based oils in case there's an allergic reaction, apparently), DH has stepped up and in spite of the fact that needles make him light-headed, is giving me a helping hand for my progesterone injections (I'm still doing the Fragmin ones on my own)! Well, he heard the nurse bascially tell me that the only other option was to come to the clinic every day, and that's not really feasible. So now I jab myself, and he pushes the plunger, and I remove the needle, because really it's not the injection so much as the fact that I can't get enough pressure on the plunger at that angle with such a stubbornly thick oil (even when I heat it... it's crazy!). He's a super-star!

He's very cute... he had to work today, but he wants me to stay in bed, so he packed me a lunch and put the cats on "guard duty"... they have to keep an eye on me and take care of me. And since they're both very vocal and prone to yelling at us when they're mad, it might just work *laugh*

Two irritations from yesterday:

1 - although Dr. L had my chart in front of him and could glean from it my age, he apparently missed his own notes indicating that yes, we've done this before, and it ended in an early miscarriage, so I had to share that info with the room in general. Ok for me, but DH is still pretty raw on the subject :(

2 - while I was getting into my gown with the curtain closed on our cubby, one of the "new" nurses came in to chat with the other "new" nurse (they're both early to mid 20's), and in spite of the big sign on the wall saying that "patients are recovering behind the curtains" (read: there are fertility patients in these cubbies... if the curtain is closed, assume the room is occupied), she started off with "my gawd, if you thought cancer patients were high maintenance, they've got nothing on fertility patients" (or words to that effect). She stopped mid tirade, so obviously her friend had kicked her and motioned to our cubby. At the time DH and I were laughing, but in retrospect it pisses me off. Especially when she followed up with an attempt to backpedal that basically said she meant that fertility patients ask too many questions. WTF???? It's a highly emotionally charged diagnosis and a pretty invasive testing and treatment process... damn freakin' skippy I'm gonna ask questions and be as "high maintenance" as I damn well please to make sure I understand what I'm taking and putting myself and my husband through and why. Gah! I'm debating saying something to the head nurse about it... that kind of insensitivity, lack of tact and discretion, and lack of compassion really has no place in a fertility clinic setting... especially not in the IVF suite! But should I report her?

3 comments:

Pam said...

Yeah! Congratulations on the transfer and the positivity and all the goodness of yesterday! Fingers are crossed for you both! And well done for your DH with the injection! How bruised is your stomach looking. :) Mine has a lovely row of bruises now. :)

Pam said...

I forgot to mention that I do think you should say something to R about the comment made by the nurse. If they are going to work in an environment like a fertility clinic then then need to understand now that compassion and understanding is required. If they can't deal with it now, what will they be like in 10 years? You don't have to name names (I'm not sure if you know who they were), but just that you overheard the comment. She will probably know who you're referring to.

Emily said...

I'm so glad you'r DH is helping with the PIO injections! That's really good.. glad to see he sucked it up!

I'm so happy you have those beautiful embies back in you! good luck mums! Hope they make themselves comfortable.

What lack of tact on the part of that nurse. I think you should definately say something... I may just wait until after you get your beta results, just in case the gets miffed about it. :)

Thanks for the nice comments on my post yesterday...

Stick embies, stick!!!