Monday, April 7, 2008

Slowing down, but still climbing

Today was beta #5: 701.

This was a little disappointing, and caused me a minute or two of worry until I worked out the doubling rate (well, ok... I went to the calculators at allaboutsurrogacy.com and had them work out the double rate ;) )... 62.3 hours. So although considerably slower than the original 28.4 hours, or even last time's 33 hours, it's still in the 48-72 hour window that's considered "ideal". Still... it's also below what the folks in the know say the minimum should be for 6w (which is tomorrow)... which apparently should be 1080.

So... I get to go for beta #6 on Friday. And spend the rest of the week the way I've spent every day since March 28th... checking for spotting every time I trek to the bathroom and hoping like crazy that this works out. Le Sigh.

On the up side, we told DH's parents on Friday night. Very cute. We had bought these towels way back when we thought we might be able to do a surprise announcement (read, about 2 years ago when we were still in our first year of trying and not nearly as cynical ;) )... they're like a cross between an apron and a towel, so you can stay relatively splash-free while bathing the little one and then not have to fuss so much trying to get them wrapped up after the bath. Anyway, so they've been sitting gathering dust for 2 years... we brought one with us on Friday night. Ma-in-law asked D "So what's new, different, or exciting?", as usual. D threw her the towel. Which has the company name on it (something like babywrapperz). So she looked at the towel, looked at DH, looked at the towel, looked at pa-in-law, looked at DH and said "Is this an announcement?" And then promptly banned me from doing anything to help with anything all weekend *laugh* I was banned from helping set tables or prepare meals... basically I was confined to the couch unless I was sitting at the dinner table, in bed, or running to/from the bathroom. I'm not used to that... it rankled a bit... but I know she means well because she knows what we've been through to get here.

So... now we wait... and see what Friday brings, I guess.

5 comments:

LadyofAvalon56 said...

Is this a "no news is good news" post ;)

Mums_the_word said...

*laugh* No, sadly this is a "Damn... I didn't mean to post that in THIS blog... it was supposed to go in the other one!" post. I've been doing this kind of crap all day and it's driving me nuts!

But I'll be updating it in a few hours once I've got the results of beta #5, at which point neither of these comments will make much sense *laugh*

LadyofAvalon56 said...

Maybe I'm just naive, but how is it the people in the know can tell what a minimum beta should be at 6 weeks if they insist that numbers (a) don't matter and (b) every woman's is different?

Did they mean that's what the minimum is for *you* or just in general?

Love your m-i-l's response. That's sweet and yeah, it can get annoying, but enjoy it for what it is. :)

Mums_the_word said...

Yeah... it kinda confused me, too, especially since there's such a huge range in the numbers for every week. Like for 5weeks it gives a range of 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml. WTF?

Meh. I'm choosing not to worry as long as my clinic doesn't. As my darling husband pointed out, a 50% increase between this morning and tomorrow morning (on track for 48 hour doubling) would put me pretty darn close to 1080 for 6w0d. Yay for the voice of reason *laugh*

LadyofAvalon56 said...

Very true, mums. Thank God for husbands and their voice of reason! LOL

I am also a firm believer in "trust the clinic". They've done this before and I think they'd tell you if there was something to worry about.

You may as well enjoy every day and not worry.

I've been thinking about you all week. Hope everything is going well.

:)