Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tripling???

So... finally at 3:00 p.m. my clinic got around to calling me with the results of this morning's beta.

But before I get into that, on a slight tangent and as an illustration of how insane and paranoid I am, I'd like to share a story of how my day started today.

Today is 5w, officially. Today was beta #3. Because I'm paranoid (and a little curious), I decided I'd test this morning... so I pulled out what we lovingly call "an internet cheapie" (the low-rent cousin of the pregnancy test you pay $13+ for at the drug store.. it's stripped down... it costs about $0.40 if you buy it online from somewhere like saveontests.com ... hence... internet cheapie). Peed in a cup ('cuz my aim sucks at 5:00 a.m. and peeing on my hands is not a nice way to start the day)... dipped according to the instructions... waited. And waited. And waited... and no second line. Cue start of panic. Cue made dive for the last of the 'good' tests (thank goodness for 2-packs!)... cue dipping of test #2... cue beautiful plus-sign in less than 60 seconds. Cue relief. Note to self: never expect an accurate result from the low-rent cousin of any test. But I'm awake now!

So... off I trek to the clinic. Get called in by the blood tech... much poking and prodding of elbows... still ended up getting the blood drawn from the back of my hand. Now I've got bruises on the back of both of them and another blood draw on Thursday morning... should be entertaining.

Anyway... the results. 88. That's roughly triple what Sunday's result was... which was roughly triple what Friday's result was. So I'm seeing tripling where they look for doubling... I guess someone's trying to make up for lost ground with the low start? ;)

Here's hoping Thursday's higher again... and getting past Friday means passing Goal #1, so we'll keep our fingers crossed for that, while I try to get through this week without losing my mind.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Ahhhhhhh! 88! That's the best news I've heard all day! I have my fingers crossed that the number will at least double by your next beta. I'm so sorry you have to go through all the hassle with your veins! *grrrr, stupid uncooperative veins* You're good news has made me smile today, and that's good! :) All my hopes hang on this 'Mums' little hitch-hikers!' Don't you 2 let your Momma down!