Tuesday, April 15, 2008

And here I thought we'd have some answers...

So.... went for the u/s this morning.

U/S tech says: ectopic (high in the right tube)
Doc says: no bleeding, no pain, too high for an IVF ectopic, that doesn't make any sense... but this here in the uterus might be a gestational sac, so it might be a missed miscarriage. But it's good news that you got pregnant. (really? I'm supposed to be happy that I'm looking at my second miscarriage in 6 months?)
DH says: Medical anomaly, just like everything else to deal with either of our healths.
I say: Stop the world, please, I want to get off.

So... we did another beta and we see what that says, and I go back again on Thursday.

Right now, I feel thoroughly beat up inside, emotionally, and physically (good god they were rough with that u/s wand... TWICE!)

Please excuse the bitter tone... it's just because I'm bitter.

Update: So.. the beta came back 1267. The nurse who called with the results said the doc wants me to do another beta on Thursday, but when I asked if he still wants to see me Thursday too, she said no.

I hate this. I don't know what's going on and I can't get a simple answer. It doesn't help that I seem to be confusing "the experts". Do I see the doc on Thursday anyway? Do I go for an u/s on Thursday anyway? Do I see the doc, but not sign up for an u/s and see what he says? Do I wait for the beta results and go from there? My mind's going a zillion directions at once... I feel like I'm spinning out of control and headed for disaster. :( Right now I'm just praying that it's not ectopic and hopefully I can get through the worst case scenario without drugs.

5 comments:

LadyofAvalon56 said...

You have every right to be bitter! I know what it's like to be told that *maybe* it's a miscarriage and *maybe* it's something else.

I know doctors means well when they say "At least we know you can get pregnant." But really, don't you want to just punch them in the mouth when they say that?

Hugs, support, sympathies and prayers for you, mums. :(

Pam said...

Crap! I was really hoping one of us would have gotten to the finish line.

Emily said...

Oh my God, Mums. That is just too much to digest. You do have every righ to feel bitter & want to 'get of' this ride. Is it possible the sac is fine & the ectopic is from something else.... I don't know, maybe somehow some swimmers got up there... but how does that make sense when you did IVF? All the eggs were taken out of you. Ok, I don't know what I'm talking about. I need to stop trying to find answers for you when I know nothing. I think you should demand that other u/s. Maybe things will become more clear then?

I am so sorry you have to go through this. This is just not fair! ((hugs)) If you need ANYTHING, let me know.
M

Michelle Hopp said...

Okay, you know me, I'm not up to date on all the baby making jargon, but I love you and I really hate to see you upset. *big hugs*

Bear with me as I try to understand this. Sunday's beta was 1019, Tuesday's 1267... now going on just the beta alone, forget what the u/s said, how does a beta count of 1267 at 7 weeks stack up against the statistics?

Secondly, with the u/s, does it mean that there should be a heartbeat by now but there isn't one?

Mums_the_word said...

THanks for all the support, ladies *hug* I'd be lost without you all

Michelle... 1267 at 7w is low. Very low. The low end of the "typical" range is 1080 at week 6 and 7650 by 7 weeks. But you know me and statistics... I don't fit the mold. As for the u/s, yes, by now they SHOULD be able to see a heartbeat and they didn't... but then again, they didn't see a heartbeat in the tube, either, and the hCG numbers are low... so maybe it's just an extension of me being a freak.

Remember, this is the girl who at her pulmonary function test was barely feeling any respiratory distress, but had the tech scrambling for a double-dose of ventolin because of the decrease in function shown on the test. See? Freak.

Anyway... the plan right now is to play it by ear. Go for my beta (#9) tomorrow, and sign up to see the doc... if he wants to do another u/s, he'll make it happen. If he doesn't, hopefully he can at least shed some light on what I was too upset to really take in yesterday.

Gotta hold it together...